Posted by administrator on 18 Jan 2017 10:28:50
The 2017 Liberty Mutual Workplace Safety Index produced by the Liberty Mutual Research Institute for Safety has found more than $1 billion is spent each week on serious but non-fatal injuries in workplaces in the United States. The Workplace Safety Index ranks the top ten causes of disabling work-related injuries and their direct costs.
The Liberty Mutual Workplace Safety Index revealed the total cost of the most disabling workplace injuries was $59.87 billion per year in 2014 – the last year data was available – an average of more than $1 billion per week over 52 weeks. The cost of top ten most disabling workplace injuries was $49.92 billion per year. The top injuries were:
- 1. Overexertion involving outside sources: 23.0 percent / $13.79 billion.
- 2. Falls on same level: 17.7 percent / $10.62 billion.
- 3. Falls to lower level: 9.2 percent / $5.50 billion.
- 4. Struck by object or equipment: 7.4 percent / $4.43 billion.
- 5. Other exertions or bodily reactions: 6.5 percent / $3.89 billion.
- 6. Roadway incidents involving motorized land vehicle: 6.2 percent / $3.70 billion.
- 7. Slip or trip without fall: 3.8 percent / $2.30 billion.
- 8. Caught in/compressed by equipment or objects: 3.3 percent / $1.95 billion.
- 9. Struck against object or equipment: 3.2 percent / $1.94 billion.
- 10. Repetitive motions involving micro-tasks: 3.0 percent / $1.81 billion.
The top five injury causes accounted for 63.8 percent of the total cost burden. The remaining five injury causes combined accounted for 19.5 percent of the total direct cost of disabling injuries. The Workplace Safety Index is at https://www.libertymutualgroup.com/about-liberty-mutual-site/research-institute-site/Documents/2017 WSI.pdf.
The Liberty Mutual Workplace Safety Index is based on information from Liberty Mutual, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), and the National Academy of Social Insurance. Researchers examine BLS injury data to determine which events caused employees to miss at least six days of work and rank them by workers compensation costs.
To find out more about Cert IV TAE
For more information on HSE Coach Courses
For more information on FPSO courses
For more information on NEBOSH Courses
For more information on IOSH Managing Safely
For more information on internationally recognised safety training
For more information on Nebosh Elearning
Simply Safety is a Singapore international center for Safety, Health and Environmental training. We conduct courses accredited by NEBOSH and other courses such as OGSC FPSO Courses, WDA courses, MOM Accredited Courses, Australian Cert IV (Australian ACTA),online international certificate courses as well as a range of short courses designed to meet specific industry needs.
For more information about NEBOSH IGC, please visit our NEBOSH IGC page. You may also reach us at email@example.com or visit us at http://www.simplysafety.com.sg/simplysafety/nebosh_igc