Any fatality is unacceptable. Worse is that involving kids. This accident happened 4 Feb 2021. These are my personal thoughts/opinions
Its an uneasy feeling that a 22 year old instructor is being charged. Yes there should be accountability/responsibility but at all levels.
We don’t know the full details or investigation findings but just some questions
- Why did MOE (Ministry of Education) and the school decide to hold these activities just after the COVID-19 lockdowns, still with mask rules etc. (also leads to was company/staff/equipment maintained since there was a big break?)
- 21 yr old instructor leading 15 yr old teen
- Was it the first time the 21 year old was leading?
- Was it the first time the 15 year old was doing this?
- Was the instructor a full time employee or freelancer
- In hiring him, what qualifications/experience did he have or was he just the cheapest and most available?
- Where there any additional instructors? (look at BOSEIT training how many divers)
- Were there safety instructions or safety officers or was he doing that safety officer role?
- Was there a lesson plan with details, risk assessments, controls, response plans?
- Did the MOE, school and the venue get involved in these and ask or challenge?
- Were the instructors briefed and drilled?
- SOPs before, during and after activities?
- Equipment , was it bought based on suitability or just cheapest?
- Ministry of Manpower safety focuses on workplace safety, while these are kids - the venue is a workplace, the organisers are a company, did they help to assist in the investigations so that we never have to see such incidents?
What do you think?
Companies can also send their staff for courses with us
Whether it is the Apply Workplace Safety Health in Process Plants (Safety Orientation Course Oil Petrochemical)
AWSHPP Course Outline
AWSHPP Course Outline for the WDA WSQ Apply Workplace Safety Health in Process Plants (AWSHPP ) are:
AWSHPP Identify the roles and responsibilities of an employee under WSH act
AWSHPP Identify and prevent fire and explosion hazards at workplace
AWSHPP Comply safe work practices and control measures for material handling
AWSHPP Comply safety work practices and control measures for mechanical and electrical works
AWSHPP Comply safe work practices and control measures when working on Specialized Operations
AWSHPP Comply safe work practices and control measures when working at heights
AWSHPP Comply safe work practices and control measures when working in a confined space
or the Perform Work in Confined Space Operations (Safety Orientation Course Manhole)
Course Outline for Perform Work in Confined Space Operations
for the SSG WSQ Perform Work in Confined Space Operation are
PWICSO Identify duties and responsibilities of all personnel involved in confined space work under the WSH Legislations and Code of Practice.
PWICSO Identify confined space hazards
PWICSO Use Gas Detection Instruments for atmospheric monitoring
PWICSO Comply with Permit-to-Work system and safe work procedures when working in confined space
PWICSO Participate in an Emergency for confined space
Or for the Safety Professionals, the NEBOSH IGC qualifications
Let us know how we can assist you in your safety training.